We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle
Do you feel stuck in a rut doing the same thing over and over without results? Do you want to change but don’t know where to start?
Based on my experience, the best way to chart a new path and get unstuck is to examine your daily routine. What you do daily, you become. It’s a fact. We are a sum of our habits, big and small. And our habits impact where our energy flows and cultivate our experiences.
When we get stuck, it’s because we get stuck in the same pattern. Without intention, our thought pattern and behavior becomes difficult to break.
So, how does one break the cycle and get unstuck? Just like a hamster on a wheel, you will keep following the same habits — performing the same activities until you decide to step outside of your current situation. You have to get off the wheel, break from routine, and evaluate how you spend your time. Then you can start implementing ways to improve your life and move forward.
Here is how to get started:
- Track your activities — Examine daily habits by writing down how you spend your time. Include everything, no matter how trivial they seem. Then note how much time is devoted to each task.
- Review & Assess Your Results — Take time to review your results. Assess how you use your time. Identify patterns of behavior based on how regularly you engage in the activity. Then for each task, identify why it was essential to complete. Understanding why you do things will help you better understand what actions and behaviors you can eliminate from your routine.
- Let Go — Once you understand why you do the things you do consistently, determine which activities no longer serve you — the activities that no longer have a purpose. Letting go of old behaviors makes room for new energy.
- Implement New Activities — Find ways to incorporate new activities into your routine — tasks that reignite your passion and refuel your energy. When you weave new elements into your schedule, find time to:
- try something new — something that will stretch you and take you out of your comfort zone
- build meaningful connections with like-minded people
- focus on things that contribute to your emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual growth
- include activities and experiences to help achieve short-term and long-term goals
- integrate things that bring joy and nourish the soul
The secret to getting unstuck is to understand your behavior, release what no longer serves you, and embrace the new. Infusion of new energy purges the old and stagnant — allowing us to create new habits and a sense of purpose.